This delicious shortbread was donated to our yearly charity stall two years ago – I have never seen anything sell so quickly. I knew I had to have the recipe and gladly the woman who brought the cake gave me the website from where she got it from. Funny enough it came from the New Zealand grocery store website – Countdown.
Since then I have made it many times – it is the perfect little thing to bring to BBQs, Birthday parties, picnics and other occasions like that.
Next mix in the egg and 1 tsp vanilla essence
Sieve in 260 g plain flour and 1 tbsp baking powder
Fold in gently until just combined
Chop 50 g of white chocolate (I used half a bar of Green & Blacks organic white chocolate)
Sprinkle the chopped white chocolate on top of the frozen raspberries – press the raspberries and white chocolate gently into the dough
Take it out of the oven and let it cool down completely
I normally cut it into 9 small pieces
I like to stack them up before I scatter some fresh raspberries all over the serving plate and then I finish it up with some icing sugar. Delicious!
- 200g soft butter
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 260 g plain flour, sifted
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 50g good quality white chocolate, chopped
- 180g frozen raspberries
- fresh raspberries and icing sugar to decorate (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 °C
- Place 200 g soft butter and 50 g caster sugar into a bowl, mix with an electric mixer for about 2 min until light and fluffy.
- Next mix in the egg and 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Sieve in the 260 g plain flour and 1 tbsp baking powder then fold in gently until just combined
- Line a 22 cm square baking tin with baking paper (I used a little bit of butter to make the baking paper stick to the tin)
- Spread ⅔ of the mixture into the tin to form a base - this is the challenging part as the mixture is rather sticky.
- Place the 180 g frozen raspberries on top of the base
- Chop 50 g of white chocolate
- Sprinkle the chopped white chocolate on top of the frozen raspberries
- Press the raspberries and white chocolate gently into the dough
- Sprinkle the rest of the dough mixture on top of the cake
- Place in the oven and bake for about 35 minutes
- Decorate with fresh raspberries and icing sugar (optional)