Mangoes are an undeniably delicious addition to smoothies, salsas, salads or eaten straight from the skin. Cutting them can be a slightly messy challenge but I will show you an easy way to cut mangoes. Of course there are different methods and ideas on how to cut this delightful fruit but I found this to be the easiest and simplest way. The importance is to use mangoes with the right ripeness – they should be richly fragrant and soft to the touch.
1. First wash the mango that you are about to cut. Place the mango on a sturdy chopping board and find the ‘eye’ – the long flat seed runs through the fruit right behind that point. With a sharp knife, slightly off centre, cut off one side of the mango.
2. Do the same thing on the other side of the mango.
3. You will end up with two mango cheeks. Cut the inside of each cheek in a checkerboard pattern. You can now either scoop the flesh out with a spoon or carry on to the next step.
4. With your hands gently push on the skin side upwards to invert the fruit – it will sort of look like a ‘hedgehog’.
5. Now you can easily cut off the mango segments – if you need smaller cubes just make smaller incisions at step 3.
6. Take the skin off the remaining mango.
7. With a knife cut off the remaining flesh around the pip.
You might also like: Mango Lassi – Summer Feeling in a Glass!